Pages

February 18, 2018

John 11: I am the Resurrection

Pastor Scott Jonas
I am the Resurrection
John 11

            Grace, Mercy and Peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son.
            In John Chapter 10, Jesus claims “I and the Father are One.”  Death puts that to the test in John Chapter 11.  Death is the great and horrible tester.  Death tests our values.  Death tests our power.  Death tests our relationships.  Death tests our Faith.
            Jesus isn’t the only one who is going to be tested by death.  So is his friend, Martha.  Her story shows us what real faith looks like.  It’s not shallow.  It’s not fluffy.  Death swallows shallow and fluffy.  Martha questions her friend Jesus.  She is honest about her pain and disappointment.  She wants answers that only he can provide.  They have deep friendship which death is going to test.
            Jesus was friends with Martha’s whole family, her sister Mary and her brother Lazarus.  In fact, Jesus talks to the disciples about “our friend Lazarus.”  Martha’s family may not have been part of the 12 but they were followers of Jesus who had him over to their house, cooked for him, washed his feet when he was a guest and learned face to face.
            Lazarus is ill.  Death was so much more of a presence everyday than it is now.  A woman just made the news because she was young, relatively healthy and died of the flu.  That was an everyday occurrence.  Imagine everyone you know being one germ away from being gone.  A simple cold was a dark threat.  The sisters send word to Jesus, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.”  One sentence.  There is no command.  There is no plea.  It is like a little prayer.
            Martha knows that Jesus can heal.  He’s healed the blind, the paralyzed, those with decaying skin.  Surely he is able to heal whatever Lazarus’ has got.  They gave him plenty of time to get there and do his stuff.  Martha’s note sounds like us when we say, “Lord, Grandma’s sick again.”  There is an optimistic confidence that Jesus can heal our loved one.   If it is his will he will do it.  We don’t have to display our faith with a show of words and emotions because God knows our heart.  He’s listening not just our little prayer but to our whole life.  He hears us and we are his family.
            Jesus stays two more days.  Now Martha has to watch her brother worsen and wonder why Jesus isn’t coming.  Did he not get the message?  Did he get arrested?  Was there some other crises more important?  If Jesus was dying and needed their help they would have dropped everything and ran to his side.  Why isn’t Jesus coming?  It makes no sense.  He loves Lazarus.  Only Jesus can save him.  Why isn’t Jesus coming?
            I’m sure that’s been you.  I know that’s been me.  When I was six years old, my Father got melanoma.  I don’t remember being scared.  I remember sensing that God would take care of it.  I’m sure my little prayer was something like “Lord, my dad is sick.”  I wasn’t allowed to see him in the hospital for a few months.  Finally they let my sister and I see him.  My brain tried to process this.  It makes no sense.  Jesus loves my dad.  Only Jesus can save him.  Why isn’t Jesus coming?
            Jesus tells his disciples plainly, “Lazarus has died and for you sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe.”  Jesus returns to Bethany, which means place of the poor.  Lazarus has been in the tomb for four days.  Many of Jesus’ opponents traveled the two miles from Jerusalem to see Jesus’ failure.  They consoled Mary and Martha as was the custom but they wanted to be there when the devastated sisters saw Jesus again.  Martha sprinted out of the house, she couldn’t take it anymore.  No more simple prayers.  No more constraint.  No more caring about a spectacle.  Things are getting real.
            “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.  But even know I know whatever you ask from the Father.  He will give you.”  These aren’t words of unbelief.  These are deep expressions of disappointment in God.  We’ve all had them, spoken or unspoken.  “Lord, if you had been here, my ___________ would not have died.”  My wife, my husband, my parent, my child, my grandparent, my friend.  Lord if you had only been here!
            Jesus tells her something she already knows.  He says, “Your brother will rise again.”  “I know that he will rise again on the last day.  She wanted the last day to be four days ago.  Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life.  Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.  Do you believe this?  Yes Lord, Martha says with tears dripping off her chin.
            Martha was wrestling with letting this go.  She would just have to wait until the last day along with everyone else.  Jesus must not do these type of favors for his friends.  His miracles are always on strangers.  People who aren’t followers.  How does that make sense?  She goes and gets Mary.  Martha’s trying to keep it together but now Mary’s falling apart.  Mary falls at Jesus’ feet and wails “Lord if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”  The street is filled with mourners who are now gawking at this scene.  Mourning is a public event for Jews.  Jesus’ followers are disillusioned.  Jesus’ opponents are hiding back smiles.
            The ESV says “Jesus was deeply moved in Spirit and greatly troubled.”  I have a better translation.  Some of you are not going to like it or be able to handle it.  Jesus was Positively beside himself.  People were using this families’ grief as an opportunity to score political points.  Thank God that doesn’t happen today.  That still makes Jesus Positively beside himself.  She starts crying and he starts crying.   
It’s one of the most relatable faith moments in the whole Bible.  Jesus cries with us at injustice.  It’s not fair that Lazarus died.  It doesn’t make sense that God didn’t answer the way they wanted.  It’s inhuman that people would use a funeral to trap Jesus.  All of it is horrible.
He says, Where have you laid him?”  They said, Lord, Come and See.  They walk to cave where his body lay.  Back then you buried a body the day of death because no matter what spices and ointments you use it would stink in three days.  Jesus says “Take away the stone.”  Imagine the fear.  This is like opening a buried casket in front of loved ones after the body has started to decay.  Nobody wants that image, but for someone in grief it would be devastatingly cruel.  Martha tries to stop Jesus.  Jesus says basically, “Trust me.”  They roll the stone away.
Jesus makes a little prayer.  “Father I thank you that you have heard me. “  The cave is dark.  People have protected the nose and are realizing that no smell of death is coming from the opening.  Jesus speaks his friend’s name, “Lazarus, come out of there.”  Lazarus still had the mummy linens around him.  He was alive.  He was resurrected.  It was not the last day.
You and I have to reconcile this story with our experience.  Sometimes Jesus resurrects now and sometimes he resurrects later.  Martha is a great example for us.  She didn’t doubt Jesus’ power or his love.  But she sure had issues with his choices because her mind could not reconcile it all.  Share your pain with Jesus.  Share your grief with the church.   We are all standing at the graves of our loved ones, waiting for Jesus to say,