Pages

February 4, 2018

John 9: I am Healed

Pastor Scott Jonas
John 9
I am Healed
2/4/18

                Over the last two months we’ve been going through the Gospel of John, 1 book at a time.  For our guests, let me catch you up.  In the beginning, Jesus was with God and He was God.  Jesus came into the world to save it, so said John the Baptist.  Jesus calls his first disciples and they go to a wedding where he stuns the unready crowd by turning water into very wine.  At night, an inquisitive Pharisee named Nicodemus, learns from Jesus that you must be born again.     In the heat of the day, an inquisitive woman learns from Jesus has living water.  At a public pool, a paralyzed man listens to Jesus and his life is radically changed.  Thousands of people flock to this miracle worker and he feeds them, proclaiming “I am the Bread of Life”, you must eat my flesh and drink my blood.  Right after is the feast of Tabernacles where the high priest pours water and wine on the Temple altar.  Jesus stands up and shouts “If anyone thirsts let him come to me and drink.”  Then last week, as the festival winds down, a woman is caught in an unseemly act.  Jesus puts the accusers on the spot, telling them that if they have no sin, go ahead and throw the stone.  As the morning sun rises over the risen Jesus takes the hand of the woman and says “I am the Light of the World.”
            Which brings us to John chapter 9.  I like to act out a story with the kids in chapel.  I don’t know if you know this about me but I’m a bit of a ham. 
            Man born blind
            Disciples ask, “Who sinned this man or his parents?”
            Jesus says “neither.  Just watch what I’m going to do through him.”
            He spit on the ground, made mud, anointed the man’s eyes, and told him to go and wash in the public pool.
            The great thing about the bible is that there are so many levels of understandings.  I want you to think about this story and describe it in one word.  What one word describes this story about Jesus spitting in the mud, anointing the man’s eyes, and he can finally see.
            Here are the three words that I thought of after I read this story.  This Healing is Messy.  This Healing is Intimate.  This Healing is Personalized.
Let’s start with the messy.  Parents are used to telling their children that Life is not fair.  Raise your hand if you’ve told this to your kids.  Aren’t we really saying that Life is messy?  It doesn’t go the way we planned.  Things happen.  Family pets die expectantly.  Kids throw up out of no where.  Your aging parents all of a sudden need your help.  Nothing is clean.  It’s all messy.
Jesus did not come to provide us with a clean, no hassle life.  If that were the case, then he would have just seen the blind man, snapped his fingers and the man would be healed.  No muss no fuss.  Instead, Jesus hocks a loogy into the ground.  Can you imagine what the blind man was thinking?  Why am I hearing a loogy?  Is this man just using my condition to degrade me?  I have no way to protect myself.  I guess I will just allow whatever is going to happen to happen.  And then this sloppy mud is placed on his eyes.  Saliva is known to have some medicinal purposes but home remedies are not going to cure blindness from birth.  No you have a man with gook all over his face and another man with smutz all of his hands.  It seems like all of this messiness isn’t leading anywhere.
But Jesus wants us to know that all of this messiness we call life is leading somewhere, somewhere good.  It’s leading towards something we all need, healing.  You and I may not be born blind but we need all kinds of healing.  Can someone say amen?  Our lives are so messy because we need physical healing, emotional healing, relational healing and spiritual healing.  We need families healed, churches healed, neighborhoods and nations healed.  Jesus did not come to help us escape the mess.  He came to bring us healing in the mess.
Let me give you a messy situation that I experienced this week.  It started when I saw a preschool teacher and a two year old outside my office.
I bet your life is messy also.  That’s the way it’s supposed to be.  In baptism, Jesus cleans us of our sins but he sends us back to messy homes, and complicated relationships.  Don’t mind the mess.  Look for Jesus in the middle of the mess.
Which brings me to my second word describing this story.  It’s messy and It’s Intimate.  Touch is intimate.  Jesus touches the blind man.  It’s really personal to get close enough to someone to touch their eyes.  The comedian Brian Regan talks about how uncomfortable it is to go to the eye doctor, sit knee to knee facing him and have his face inches from yours.  Shines a goofy light in your eyes forever.  Then he says “How are you doing there?”  “Can you back up a little bit?  Are you looking into my soul?”
Jesus used intimacy and touch to heal.  Modern science knows the power of touch.  It doesn’t even have to be human touch.  Having a Comfort dog by the side of a trauma victim is very powerful.  Part of why I shake hands at the back of the church is because of the healing power of physical contact.  You also may have noticed that when I place the communion wafer in your hands, I try to have hand to hand contact.  For some people it’s the only touch they have all week.
Jesus hugged children.  Held the hands of trauma victims.  Allowed a woman to anoint his feet and hair. Kissed Judas.  Embraced his disciples and touched a blind man’s eyes.  His followers should follow his example.
The third word for this story is personalized.  This story is messy, intimate and personalized.  Jesus never had a one size fits all when it came to healings.  He custom fit them to the needs as he saw fit.  One woman touched his prayer tassels.  Another time Jesus just told a guy his sins were forgiven and the man walked.  Another time Jesus just sent word that the man was healed, long distance like a text message.  Why did this man need spit and mud?  I don’t know.  Maybe no one had touched him in a long time.  Maybe mud had spiritual significance in the man’s life.  Maybe because he was blind the man fell in the mud a lot.  It became his identity.  You could see the blind guy a mile away because he always had mud on him.  The mud became a negative part of his identity.  Jesus took the mud and anointed him with it.  He made the mud Holy.  He made the man holy.

Jesus wants to heal you.  It may be messy, intimate and personalized.  All you have to do is ask.