Pages

March 18, 2018

John 17: I am Guarded


Pastor Scott Jonas
John 17 I am Guarded
3/18/18

                We have been going through the Gospel of John using the “I am” sayings as a guide.  Jesus has said “I am” the Resurrection to Mary and Martha.  “I am the light of the World” to the woman caught in adultery.  “I am the bread of Life” to a crowd at the temple.  Jesus said, “I am the true vine” and you are his branches.   
Wherever there has been a chapter without an “I am saying” I’ve inferred one about our identity.  Because of Jesus I am known.  I am Satisfied.    I am healed.  Last week, Jesus proclaimed that I am joyful.  This week Jesus asks the Father that I am guarded.
Friday night I did not feel guarded.  I made a few mistakes.  Mistake #1  My family was out of town and I decided to have a hungry man dinner and a beer with coffee in it.  We will call that only one mistake though that is debatable.  Mistake #2 I decided to watch a movie that my family would never watch, the movie “It.”  It is about evil lurking under the town of Derry, Maine in the form of a killer clown.  Even though I read the Stephen King book twenty years ago, I still was shook by the disturbing images late at night all by myself.  Afterwards, I went to bed with one shitzu on my right and one on my left standing guard.  Maybe not standing guard more lounging guard.
Between the coffee and the horror movie I had a hard time sleeping.  Normally, I have no problems sleeping.  I hit the pillow and I’m out until morning.  Not this night.  I felt unsettled.  I felt uneasy.  I felt vulnerable.
I believe that is why people enjoy scary movies.  They allow us to experience death and survive.  We open ourselves up to our biggest fears but in a manageable way.  These kind of films are like roller coasters.  We give up control momentarily but we know that everything is going to be alright in the end.
Today’s chapter in John is about vulnerability and protection.  The night in which he was betrayed, Jesus prayed for his friends, the men and women who followed him.  He was teaching them about their sorrow turning to Joy.  Then he stopped.  He lifted his eyes up.  He opened his mouth and he started to talk to his Father.
It actually is the longest prayer of Jesus’ in the Bible.  The Lord’s prayer is more famous but this prayer is more in depth.  It’s been called the high priestly prayer because Jesus in intervening like a priest.  A priest is a conduit between the people and God.  He is connected to the God of Heaven and the congregation below.  He takes the concerns of his fellow believers and lifts them to the Lord.  He has been chosen for this task by God.  Jesus the High Priest is speaking to the Father on our behalf.
Jesus says that his Father gave him authority over all flesh.  That means not just over all the church, not just all humans but all created things.  Jesus took that authority seriously.  In his ministry he protected jews and gentiles, birds and flowers.  Jesus is the new adam who does what the first man was supposed to do, guard everything that was created in the first 6 days, that includes the earth, plants and trees, creatures of all types and people.  Jesus came to give eternal life to his creations.  Eternal life is not defined by length of time but by quality.  Jesus came to bring a quality of life that can only be realized at hand of the creator himself.
The Father gave everything to the son.  That is what made the devil’s proposal in the desert so ridiculous.  Bow down and all of this can be yours?  It is not the evil one’s to give.  And the Father has already handed it over to the Son.  This includes the universe as far as the eye can see and every man and woman.  The devil tried to take advantage of a vulnerable man who hadn’t eaten in weeks.  But Jesus would not betray his calling.
Jesus prays to the Father and says that he has passed on the Father’s words to his followers.  The Father said at Jesus baptism, “This is my Son, listen to him.”  These are the most important words we hear from the Father.  Jesus’ life is dedicated to passing on this plea from the Father, “This is my Son, listen to him.”
There is a lot in those words.  To believe just those seven words creates a whole creed in and of itself.  To believe that the Father speaks is unique.  Most of the world believed in many gods.  Only the Jews believed in God as Father.  The foreign gods were blood thirsty and cared nothing for creation.  But the Father spoke words of love to his people.  His people only needed to humble themselves and be open to his words.  They had to be vulnerable.
The son listens to the Father and we are called to listen to the Son.  When Jesus had one last opportunity to pray with the twelve he prayed that his followers would receive his teachings.  He prayed that you would listen to the Son.  That you would be vulnerable enough to allow Jesus to change your heart.  Being vulnerable is scary but it is necessary for growth. 
Tonight we have the baptism of Abel Theodore Lauber.  His parents Joe and Tamara have listened to Jesus.  They want for their Son what Jesus wanted for his students.  They want Abel to hear Jesus.  So they open themselves up to the Lord.  They brought him to the church.  They hand him over to a pastor who baptizes him in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.  They are trusting that God will give their son eternal life with Jesus and all that comes with it.  They are not hiding their son away from the world.  Instead they are asking Jesus to guard their son’s heart.  It’s beautiful.
Jesus prays “All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.”
You and I have a choice.  All flesh has a choice.  Either you guard you heart or Jesus guards your heart.  Do you trust yourself to keep yourself true or do you hand that duty over to your creator?
It is natural for us to learn from an early age to barricade our hearts against the outside world.   When you think about it, all sin is a coping mechanism to try to guard our own heart.  We lie because we don’t want people to be disappointed in us because that would break our hearts.  We seek intimacy outside of marriage because we are afraid of rejection.  We turn to drugs and alcohol because it numbs our innermost places.  It makes us feel less vulnerable.  We focus on achievement and self glory because it is easier than letting others see the real us.  Isn’t it exhausting to guard your own heart.
Judas guarded his own heart.  He couldn’t trust Jesus so he tried on his own.  Jesus here calls him the son of destruction because when we do the guarding everything we care about gets destroyed.
The other option is to be completely vulnerable to the Lord and let him watch over our most private inner places.  In this high priestly prayer, Jesus is sharing his deepest longings with both the Father and the twelve who are listening in.  He is totally exposed to both.  He is totally vulnerable.
Jesus’ whole ministry was built on vulnerability.  In heaven before the creation of the world, nothing could hurt the Son.  He had a perfect relationship with both Father and Spirit.  They loved each other perfectly.  They communicated as one.  There was no vulnerability in existence.  Then they crafted a creation.  Now they were vulnerable.  Sin was an inevitability.  The love that they felt for creation would be rejected.  Creation would betray them.  The Son opened himself up to this.
Then Jesus came to earth and made himself a human.  Now he was even more vulnerable.  He could feel pain.  He could be hungry, thirsty, and tire.  He could even suffer the supreme vulnerability death.  In John 17, Jesus is open to that consequence but he is also open to the Fathers will.
Make yourself open to Jesus.  His opinion of you is the only one the truly matters.  Let him guard you and keep you.  He does not promise physical safety.  We know that Jesus was not physically safe on good Friday.  But He promises that you will be connected to Jesus.   This is the only path that leads to eternal joy.