Pages

October 5, 2017

Philippians 2: Rejoice Together

Pastor Scott Jonas
Phil. 2
10/1/17

Rejoice Together

                Jesus met a woman at the well in the noontime son.  This woman went at the hottest point in the day because of her scandalous reputation.  She had 6 men in her bed at one time or another.  Yet Jesus talked with her saying “Please get me a drink.”  She smiled and a conversation began.  As this woman engaged Jesus she felt this wonder and joy build up inside of her.  Somehow he knew her better than any man ever had.  He treated her with respect and maybe even delight.  For the first time in her life she could feel God working inside her.  After their conversation, she ran to her neighbors and said, “Make my joy complete and listen to my story.”
                Jesus sees a bunch of lepers.  They stayed at a distance maybe because they didn’t want to scare him away.  Jesus yelled to them.  They went to the priests and as they walked their skin was restored.  Their ears were their original shape.  They looked healthy and normal.  They ran to the priests and said, “Make my joy complete and listen to my story.”
Jesus was entering a town called Nain.  A funeral procession was exiting the gates as he was entering.  Men carried the body of a man on a bier.  Following the dead man was his mother.  Jesus put out his hand onto the bier and stopped the procession.  The pallbearers grief turned to shock.  Jesus went up to the crying mother, wiped her cheeks and said “No more weeping. Young Man, arise.”  The dead man sat up and the whole crowd was gripped with fear.  The woman and her son went home forehead to forehead, arms around each other.  When they saw someone they knew they said, “Make my joy complete and listen to my story.”
That is how the relationship between Paul and the Philippians began in the beginning.  Paul had this crazy story and a deep well of happiness bubbling up inside.  Jesus appeared as a bright light on the road to Damascus and this changed Paul forever.  Through that encounter he learned that Jesus was Lord and Savior.  He followed wherever Jesus led him.  That journey brought him to Philippi.  Some of the people there sat with him, listened to his story and believed.  This made Paul’s joy complete.
Phil. 2:1-2  Paul says, “If there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.”  Do you see this process that Paul is laying out?  Jesus does something miraculous that changes a person on the inside.  That person feels compelled to share the experience with others.  The process isn’t complete until the other person believes the story and feels the same joy.  Miracle, Joy, share the miracle, joy.  That is what the woman at the well, the lepers, and the widow all experienced. 
So Paul has already completed that Joy loop with the Philippians.  He shared the good news of Jesus, they listened and believed.  Then they celebrated that good news through worship.  Now he has a new joy loop story.  He is a prisoner because of his faith in Jesus.  He is suffering through loss of freedom, loss of creature comforts, loss of physical connection to the churches he has started.  Yet Jesus is still working through him.  God’s word is working.  The Gospel is progressing.  Paul is compelled to share this with his friends.  He needs them to hear this new story, believe and celebrate.
Haven’t you experienced this process?  Something big has happened and you need not just to share but for someone to believe you.  My family once was in a cabin near Lake Pinecrest in California.  Our cabin was about 30 minutes from my mom’s cabin which was right on the lake.  Ann and the girls went back to our cabin early but I stayed until past midnight.  The way home was a two lane road bordered by huge pine trees.  All of a sudden, there was a bright light that filled the whole road.  My first thought was that it was a construction crew.   But the light disappeared and there was no light night crew.  I continued to the cabin and woke up Ann.  She was not pleased and didn’t really understand what I was saying.  I had this amazing experience but my joy was not complete.  Ann listened but didn’t believe and certainly did not share my joy at 1am.  The next afternoon there was a front page article in the Sonora Newspaper.  Comet lands near Lake Pinecrest.  My family believed me and completed my joy.
This is an absolutely necessary process of the Christian life.   Jesus has done something miraculous to us on the inside through baptism.  This gives us forgiveness of sins, eternal life and joy.  But our joy is not complete until we loop someone else in.  We need to tell the story of how Jesus saved us so that others may believe.  When they do then its celebration time.
This goes not just for our salvation but also anytime we see God working.  Paul’s prison experience wasn’t about his salvation.  That happened before he met the Philippians.  Paul’s prison experience was about seeing God work through your everyday life.  When you recognize God working through you, you must share that with the church.
I hope I have shared with you how God used Glendale in my life.  I’m so excited to be your pastor.  I prayed for a congregation where I could lead worship, preach, teach, baptize, wed, bury, counsel, and lead.  I asked God for a church that fit my personality.  I asked him for a school where I could play with kids and connect with parents and teachers.  I asked God for a place where my family could thrive.  God heard my prayers.  Do you know how amazing that is?  That is so much more amazing than seeing a comet.  The Creator of the universe heard my prayers and brought me to you.  When I share that with you and I have you make my joy complete when you believe me.  Then we can celebrate together.
This is what rejoicing together really means.  We see God working through his word and we celebrate.  Last week we had a baptism.  That made me want to share that with others.  Didn’t you?  I don’t know if you’ve met our new organist Jim Thielker yet but if you do be ready to rejoice.  Jim is beside himself with joy over joining our staff.  It isn’t just that it’s a good fit.  It isn’t just that he missed playing every week for a Lutheran church.  It’s because he recognizes that God heard his prayers those spoken and not spoken.  God is using Jim Thielker and he wants to share that story.
How has God been working in your life?  Recognizing it is just the first step in the process.  You need to share it with others, especially the church.  If you have a loved one who is dealing with drug or alcohol addiction and they meet a milestone that you’ve been praying for, make your joy complete and share it.  If you have a family member who has been dealing with depression and the doctors find the right medication, make your joy complete and share it.  If your adult child stepped back into a Christian church after a long absence, make your joy complete and share it.  If you had the opportunity to give money and God used it for his glory, make your joy complete and share it.  If you tried to do family devotions for the first time and you could feel God move through his word, make your joy complete and share it.
That is one of the great reasons to have these dinner for eights.  Sunday morning just isn’t enough time to really be connected.  You can’t feel connected to everyone in the church.  Even though you are connected through the Spirit.  But you can develop friendships though things like dinner for eight.  There we can be our real self and share.